Names of 17th-century inhabitants of the parishes of Donagheady and Leckpatrick
The following sources contain the names of nearly 700 inhabitants of the parishes of Donagheady and Leckpatrick in the seventeenth century.
Settlers in the manor of Dunnalong, 1622
In 1622 the government commissioned a report into the progress of the Ulster Plantation. Landowners or their agents were required to present certificates to the investigating officials which stated the names of the tenants on their estates together with any building works that had been completed or were underway. The certificate for the manor of Dunnalong was presented by William Lynne, agent for the Abercorns who actually owned the manor. Lynne’s certificate listed the names of the five freeholders (those who held their farms in perpetuity) followed by those of the 22 leaseholders (those who held their farms for a defined period) in the manor. This is the earliest list of names of settlers in the Bready area.
- John Hamilton, gent., son of Patrick Hamilton, clerk, deceased
- Hugh Hamilton of Moyagh, gent.
- Hugh Hamilton of Lisdovin [Lisdivin]
- James Hamilton of Dowleter [Dullerton], gent.
- William Lynne of Londonderry, gent.
- Anderson, John
- Browne, Allan
- Deale, Hugh
- Edmiston, Willm
- Granger, Robt
- Gray, James
- Hamilton, Hugh
- Hamilton, James, gent.
- Hamilton, Margarette, widow
- Kennedy, John
- Lowry, John
- Lynne, John
- Miller, Robt
- Porter, Patrick
- Roberton, Alexr
- Robinson, John
- Simpson, Willm, sen.
- Smith, Andrew
- Sproule, Robert, sen.
- Sproule, Robert, jun.
- Sterling, Patrick
- Torrens, John
- Watson, Arthur
- Wilson, John
Muster rolls, 1630
A muster roll was a list of able-bodied men who were capable of military service. They were armed at their own expense. An extensive muster roll was carried out in Ulster in 1630. Listed here are the names taken from the muster rolls for the estates owned by Sir George Hamilton (the manor Cloghogall in the parish of Leckpatrick), the Countess of Abercorn (the manor of Dunnalong in the parish of Donagheady) and Sir William Hamilton (the manor of Manor Elieston in the parishes of Donagheady and Badoney).
Poll book for the parish of Donagheady, c.1662
Only a few parishes in Ulster have surviving poll books, all of them in County Tyrone. Fortunately Donagheady is one of these parishes (the others being Aghaloo, Termonmaguirk and Urney). These date from the early 1660s and list the names of those liable for the poll tax. The names are arranged by townland with the occupation of the taxpayer – usually farmer, servant or yeoman – noted and the amount payable. Poll tax was paid as follows: a gentleman 4 shillings; a yeoman or farmer 2 shillings, a servant or labourer 1 shilling, with the sum doubled if the individual was married. Some caution should be exercised, however, regarding these designations.
It also seems to have been the case that the grown-up children of yeomen and gentry were classified as servants so as to avoid paying the higher tax. For example, in Ardugboy (present-day Mountcastle) townland Archibald Galbraith and wife were classified as gentry, while a Christian Galbraith was listed as a servant. In all likelihood, however, Archibald was Christian’s father.
Hearth money rolls
In the 1660s the government introduced a tax on hearths as a means of raising revenue. The returns, arranged by parish and usually with townland locations, list the names of all householders paying this tax survive for half the counties in Ireland with coverage most complete in Ulster. The hearth money rolls cannot be taken as a complete record of every household in the areas covered. There seems to have been considerable evasion, while for many houses of a less permanent nature occupied by Irish families no hearth tax was paid. The original hearth money rolls were destroyed in Dublin in 1922, but copies, in many cases typescript versions, had been made of much of them prior to this. For the parish of Donagheady there are two surviving hearth money rolls, one undated, but reckoned to date from c.1664 and the other from 1666. For the parish of Leckpatrick there is only a hearth money roll from 1666.