Donagheady Church of Ireland
The records of Donagheady Church of Ireland are among the earliest of any church in Northern Ireland. Registers of baptisms and marriages survive from 1697 and burials from 1698, though there are gaps. The earliest vestry book containing details of local administration in the parish begins in 1697. The minister at this time was Rev. Andrew Hamilton who died in 1753, having been rector of Donagheady for over sixty years.
Bready Reformed Presbyterian Church
Bready Reformed Presbyterian Church dates from the middle of the eighteenth century. In 1765 William James was ordained minister of a congregation covering a large area in the Foyle Valley. A few years later the first meeting house was built at Bready on a site granted by the Earl of Abercorn. The present church was built in 1923. The earliest surviving baptisms are listed at the back of a nineteenth-century session book. The marriages 1847 to 1852 were taken from the Strabane District Registration marriage books and are thought to have been in Bready Reformed Presbyterian Church. Marriage registers kept by the congregation date from 1864 – earlier records may have been destroyed. The marriage records were transcribed by Faye Logue of Queensland, Australia, and kindly made available for this website.
Note: the marriage between John Stevenson and Lucinda Kincade has the following note appended to it: ‘Married in the Loughmulvin Meeting House according to the Reformed Presbyterian Church. Registered Certificate. Entry cross marked with the following words: Inserted here by mistake. To be found correctly entered in the Register Books of Mulvin Reformed Presbyterian Church. District of Strabane. No. 7 - Page 2. Entry 8.’
Donagheady Presbyterian Church
The first Presbyterian minister in Donagheady was John Hamilton, a Scot, who arrived in the 1650s. A dispute resulted in the congregation splitting into two separate congregations in 1741. The congregation which continued to meet in the old church became known as 1st Donagheady, while the new congregation was called 2nd Donagheady. The congregations were reunited on 1 January 1933, with the united congregation using the Second Donagheady church building. These marriages relate to 2nd Donagheady and cover the period 1838-1926. They were transcribed by Faye Logue of Queensland, Australia, and kindly made available for this website.
Magheramason Presbyterian Church
Magheramason Presbyterian Church was founded in 1878, work having started on a meeting house the year before. These marriages, covering the period 1881-1927, were transcribed by Faye Logue of Queensland, Australia, and kindly made available for this website.
Leckpatrick Presbyterian Church
Leckpatrick Presbyterian Church was established in 1836 and a meeting house was built in Artigarvan. The first minister was Rev. Moses Chambers. These marriages, covering the period 1845-1930, were transcribed by Faye Logue of Queensland, Australia, kindly made available for this website.
Leckpatrick Church of Ireland
The orginal church was in the graveyard known as Old Leckpatrick a few hundred yards north of the present church which was built c.1815. The earliest records were destroyed in Dublin in 1922. This database of marriages, starting in 1845, is downloadable as a PDF. It was created by Faye Logue and Len Swindley and kindly made available for this website.